Monday, May 15, 2017

Charleston Mini Quilt

It's been a little while since I've posted anything here on the blog, but I've had so much going on (really good stuff!) and am excited to share some of that with you!  I love my most recent finish so much, and I know my mom (the recipient) does, too!  Don't worry....there are lots of pics included because I know that's what you really want to see!  

I finished this mini quilt for my mom for Mother's Day.  She's really hard to buy for (although she says she doesn't really need or expect anything) so I like to make her something when I can.  I was born in Charleston, SC, and lived just outside of Charleston until I got married (a long time ago).  My mom still lives in the area, as do a lot of other family members, so I still get to visit the area occasionally.  In the past, I've cross-stitched some Charleston-themed gifts for her, which she loves, so I knew she would really like something made with the new Charleston fabrics by Amy Sinibaldi by Art Gallery Fabrics.  I ordered mine online from Winter Creek Cloth one morning, and it was on my doorstep that afternoon!  Ha ha!  My friends Dana & Lynn own the shop, so that's pretty convenient! 

Since I waited until the last minute (as usual) to decide what I wanted to make, I knew it needed to be fast, so NO paper piecing! I decided to use this improv pillow tutorial from Quilting in the Rain as inspiration for a mini quilt to hang on the wall.  It's about 12" x 18" and can easily hang on nails using a dowel placed in corner pockets (scroll down for pic). Look at all of these fabrics....SO sweet! I used 50 wt Aurifil thread for the piecing and 40 wt Aurifil for the quilting.

I used this tutorial from Crazy Mom Quilts for binding tiny things. 
It was perfect! 

 I even cut the "Charleston" out of the selvedge to use as part of the quilt! 



I used another tutorial from Crazy Mom Quilts as inspiration for making a card using some of the fabric.  

I have more to share with you, but I'll save it for another post.  I'm determined to start blogging regularly again. I've really been thinking about why I started blogging in the first place - to document my quilting - to tell my story.  So, that's what I'm going to do...again. And I still enjoy reading blogs, but I've been making an effort to actually start commenting again.  Stay tuned and happy quilting!  

3 comments:

  1. Awfully cute! I love this fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these prints, and love what you did with them. I'm sure your mom loved the gift. Nice to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. Gives me ideas for my Charleston fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!