Thursday, November 3, 2016

One Room Schoolhouse Fabric

While at SewPro last month, I was one of the lucky ones who got a charm pack of Brenda Ratliff's One Room Schoolhouse fabric. Woot! This line is so great! 

While trying to decide what to make, I decided to go back and read Brenda's blog post where she described her design process. 
"I got inspiration from my vintage fabric collection.  But this time, I really wanted a more late Spring/early Summer feel to the colors.  I still looked for prints that were smaller for quilting.  There are so many great quilting patterns out there that use small pieces and One Room Schoolhouse will work well with those types of patterns."
Perfect!  I just happened to be pulling fabric for a table runner for a table for my entry way and was looking for some ideas for quarter log cabin blocks.  I came across this tutorial by Rita of Red Pepper Quilts.  This fabric is perfect for small blocks for a table runner! Then I thought about how I only have one quilty thing on the wall in my sewing room....seriously, one thing!  How is that even possible??? Hmmmm.....so maybe I could make a mini to hang on my wall! 

So I started cutting....and cutting....and cutting.  I started my blocks with 2.5" squares, then added 1.5" strips using Rita's method.  Then sewed all those teeny tiny blocks together. And then.....get this....I put this tiny little thing on my longarm to quilt it!  Smallest quilt so far!  And so quick!  


And just by pure luck, we happened to have a little bit of sunlight here in the Pacific Northwest, so I ran outside really quick and got a pic in my dude's garden. 
When I looked at this pic on my camera, all I could see were double L's....you know, like Lisa Lisa.  Ha ha ha!  Purely coincidental ;) 

Aren't these colors awesome?  I fell in love with all of the blues!  If you have fallen in love with this fabric like I did, you're probably going to love her first fabric line, Pie Making Day!  Earlier this week, I got a notification from Pink Castle Fabrics for a Pie Making Day + One Room Schoolhouse Stash Box, which I am adding to the top of my wish list for November!  Doesn't everyone have a monthly wish list?  ha ha! 

Happy Quilting! 

Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great! How cool that you used Brenda's post for inspiration. It looks like you've done her proud! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!