Monday, September 9, 2013

Mod GeoCruiser

Some of you may remember the Make It Right Challenge earlier this year that was hosted by Art Gallery Fabrics. You had to use the Right Angles panel by Angela Walters and Pure Elements solids to make something awesome. I had this crazy idea that I might like to try it, so I bought my Right Angles panel and then thought about it over and over and over again while I was busy making my mom's Mother's Day Quilt and my Relay For Life Quilt. I'm not sure what made me think that I could possibly get anything else accomplished while making these two quilts AND working 40 hours a week. But I decided I would make it when I returned from my Mother's Day vacation in South Carolina. Then I got sick.....on the last day of vacation. And I was down for about two weeks. The challenge was not going to happen....for me anyway.  

However, my friend Kelli of Seriously..I think it needs stitches was all over this challenge and immediately got to work on a design. Her design was so awesome that she won first place!! 
She was then contacted by Nedra at Triangles on a Roll and asked if she would make one using their product. You should probably read Kelli's blog posts, starting with this one, of how everything just fell into place. 

I offered to be a pattern tester for her using Triangles on a Roll.  I decided to make mine out of Madhuri (The Quilted Fish for Riley Blake). I love this fabric so much! All of it. And I especially love the selvage! These elephants are so flippin' cute!!! 
Triangles on a Roll are pretty awesome. And so easy to use! I personally am not a big fan of tiny half square triangles, but this made it so much easier! And putting together all of those little HSTs was so much fun! There are a lot of pieces to this quilt, but it's so worth it! I mean look at this thing! It's so cool and so different! 

Each Mod GeoCruiser quilt that has been made (2 by Kelli 1 by Nedra, and 1 by myself) has a totally different look. 

Nedra's can be found here.
Kelli's latest can be found here.
You may notice that their quilts are already quilted. Mine is not. That's because they sent their's out to have it quilted, and I'll be quilting mine on my home sewing machine. Heck! I might even try out some FMQ! Oh, and I'll probably be putting one of these cute little elephants on the basket as soon as I figure out how I want to do that. 

Kelli's latest Mod GeoCruiser quilt made with Gracie Girl (by Kassidy & Lori Holt for Riley Blake) is at Fabric Fest right now! And it's going to Quilt Market in Houston next! Woo hoo! 

If you're interested in making one with your favorite fabric, or maybe trying a scrappy Mod GeoCruiser, you can purchase the pattern on Craftsy, Riley Blake (soon!) or Triangles on a Roll. If you make one, I know that Kelli would love to see it! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for testing it for me, LL!!! I love how it turned out!! So cute, and so YOU. :D Each one really does look sooo different. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! I love the girly colours and pretty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Yours is totally my favorite! I love the Madhuri fabric and this looks really pretty and fresh in them. Good luck with the quilting! Wish I was going to see yours at Fabric Fest too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you clever thing! It's beautiful - I love the fabrics you chose. Your mod cruiser reminds me of a very cool bike that turns up at my children's school on most days - we always stop and admire it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I remember you showing me this when we came to visit! I love the (nearly) finished product! So cute, and such great fabrics on all of them!
    I was gonna ask if you planned on using the elephants--can't wait to see how that turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!