Saturday, June 22, 2013

Finally Finished My Relay For Life Quilt!

I can't believe it's been almost 3 weeks since I posted last. I've been working my little butt off to finish my Relay For Life raffle quilt. I had planned on having it done by May 1st, before I went on vacation. But I was also trying to finish my mom's Mother's Day quilt before heading to South Carolina. Then I got sick, and ended up not sewing for a few weeks. I've been trying to get this done in addition to working 40 hours a week. Not sure why I put too many things on my plate, but I have a habit of doing that. 

I finished binding the quilt on Thursday afternoon.  The day before Relay For Life.  That's how I do things.  Not on purpose.  I used my Accuquilt Go to cut all of my binding strips - This thing is amazing! I seriously love it.
Binding is my favorite part of quilting. I just love sitting here knowing that I'm almost done, and I'm putting the last bit of love into my project. I know that sounds all mushy, but it seriously does just give me time to think about all the love and work (sometimes more work than love) that I've put into the quilt up to that point. 
I just love pics of binding--don't you? 
While I was binding, I noticed a small stain of what appeared to be either chocolate or red wine. Yes, I partake in both while binding. You may recall the story of when I spilled red wine all over my seester's 50th birthday quilt.  OK, maybe I need to stop having food and drink around while quilting. I usually don't have anything like that around my fabric until the binding part. Heck! If I'm going to be sitting here for hours on end binding a quilt, I'm going to need something to eat and drink, right? And it might as well be wine and chocolate! Anyway, back to the stain on the quilt....I decided to use a soft bristle toothbrush and some Tide, and my Lava bar soap to get out the stain. Why not? This is what I use for other stains. Well.....this didn't turn out the way I had planned. Yes, the stain was gone, but now it was bleached.  Can you see it there right in the middle of the pic? Of course you can! Because it's BLEACHED! Holy Moly! 
I didn't know what the heck I was going to do. By this time, it was way past my bedtime and I knew that I wouldn't come up with a solution while I was tired and upset. So I went to bed and slept on it. When I woke up, I still didn't know what I was going to do with it. I must have been dreaming about something else....like starting my next quilt. So....as I drank my morning coffee, I started googling on how to fix a mistake/stain on a quilt. After talking it over with my husband (he helps me figure out a lot of quilting stuff from time to time because he's pretty awesome), and seeing a few things online, and remembering a Ryan Gosling pic that I have on my Ryan Gosling board on Pinterest, I knew exactly what I was going to do...
My husband suggested a cancer ribbon - GENIUS! I emailed my manager at work and told her that I was going to be late because I had a quilting disaster that had to be fixed...now! Luckily, I had some leftover prints from the quilt top, so I made a cancer ribbon and appliqued it with my machine. 
It's not perfect, but it looks way better than the bleach spot! And guess what! One of my best friends won it! I wasn't even there to draw the name, so I can't be accused of rigging it! Ha ha! Another friend of mine won the quilt that I made last year. Again....I didn't draw the name.  I just have very lucky friends :) Oh, and my friend who won it this year - Karen - doesn't know about the bleach spot and cover-up, so she'll be finding out about it when she reads this :D  I'm sure she won't mind.  


This last pic shows my husband's beautiful garden. Even though he helps me with my quilting sometimes, I don't help in the garden, and that's probably a good thing. I'll just stay upstairs and sew instead....and eat the goodies from the garden, of course! :) 

Thanks for stopping by! 
Lisa Lisa


11 comments:

  1. Love the ribbon solution! I'm sure Ryan approves as well. I totally agree with you, red wine and chocolate are my favorite food groups! Thanks for sharing your creative design element. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great save! the quilt is lovely and the recipient must surely be happy. I think I am missing out when I am quilting. I will have to try some wine and chocolate "nourishment" for those long to finish task sessions.
    especially now that I know how to fix boo boos.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.Great fix with the ribbon & no will will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're alive! Yay!! I've missed reading your blog.. okay, first.. I love that you have a RG pinterest board! ha! Second, genius idea for the save, it's so cute. If you hadn't outed yourself right here in public, I bet your friend would have never known about the bleach spot. E has turned out to be a real keeper hasn't he?! He gardens too!! And helps you in your quilting adventures when needed.. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Binding is my favorite part, too! I also drink wine and eat chocolate while binding sometimes! LOL. So sorry about the stress, but I agree that the outcome was a great design element that I love! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ribbon is perfect! It is a beautiful quilt - I love that it was won by a friend (and last year's - love that quilt as well!). Your roll of binding is so neat - mine don't ever seem to roll neatly! I am in collect-a-stack-of-quilt-tops mode at the moment, though I did bind a little cot sized quilt recently. Mostly because the baby it is intended for was born the week before! I seriously need to finish off some projects before starting some new ones. I love to bind - it's the basting part that I really don't like. It's right up there with vacuuming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the solution you guys came up with--what a team you are!!
    Bob helps me with quilt designs and stuff, too.

    Quilting without wine and chocolate would surely not be worth doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it too late to get my money back? :)

    Actually though I love it and can't wait until I get my hands on it. I am one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. No refunds :/ Ha ha! I'm SO glad you won it!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful quilt and I really like how you added the ribbon to cover your unintentional design element!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your solution is wonderful and makes the quilt a little extra special, I think. I'm also glad to learn other people enjoy the little things in life (chocolate, wine), whilst tending to their quilts and crafts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!