Saturday, January 26, 2013

FNSI Fail

I really did attempt a project during my Friday Night Sew-In, but I really don't have much to show. I had already cut a lot of strips with my Accuquilt Go 2-1/2 inch strip die. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I cut those strips into 16" strips to sew together for my Scrappy Trip Around the World blocks. 

 I was trying to be as scrappy as possible so jumbled them all together and started grabbing one at a time to sew 6 strips together. 
As you can see, I have a lot of different fabrics in this pile. They just don't match....at all. This is a tough project!!
These are the four blocks that I finished....and the ones I'll be ripping apart. 
And this is the one that I finished recently. Just not feelin' it. I'll keep it because it's already sewn together, but I can't imagine I'll ever do anything with it. 

8 comments:

  1. I don't think it looks bad. make the other four, put them together, and see how they all look. If you still don't like it, maybe you could donate it to a children's hospital as a baby quilt or something, but you might surprise yourself and like them when you see more together? Or just go with your gut. :) What do I know.. except that I am really tempted by these blocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelli...if you don't like it give it as a donation.... Don't rip it out... keep going and see what happens... I know how hard it is to just grab from the scrap pile..I took that challenge myself, ended up being one of my favorite disasters..*giggle*.... Hugs and Keep at it girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you end up starting over, I admire your drledication to make it scrappy! I have probably put more effort than I should in the few unlocks I've made so far! Though, I am with you, I don't continue if I don't like where it is headed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think scrappy only really comes together (i.e. looks good) when the entire quilt top is put together. Scrappy blocks on their own can look very unattractive! While I wouldn't rush to make a mini quilt from it, I like your block in the context of scrappy and think it will be fantastic as part of a larger quilt top. Or, if you think scrappy will never appeal to you, stop now and make something that excites you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate ripping stuff out. :(
    And I like the term "favorite disaster" a lot. :)

    I also like the idea of donating it. Someone else may appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea to donate it - but my money is on finishing it and seeing how terrific if looks when you step back!

    They really look terrific when combined together! Keep a darker strip in the middle
    BLockLotto DIrections: http://blocklotto.blogspot.com/2011/11/scrappy-trips-in-november.html
    BLockLotto Examples: http://blocklotto.blogspot.com/search/label/Nov%202011%20photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree to keep going. scraps need tons of other scrappy friends to look right. you may find that you love it once more have joined the pack. and if not, a donation quilt that will surely warm someone both physically and mentally that somebody make something for them. keep going girl! just enjoy the process

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!