Sunday, October 14, 2012

Musical Quilt

Musical Quilt......Kinda like musical chairs, but this story is just about one quilt that I went round and round and round with. I followed the pattern to the T but I kept having trouble. It's a bit of a long story...keep reading if you're interested. Don't worry, I don't include all the details :)

The story begins when a friend of ours (one of my husband's very best friends since high school - that was a very long time ago!) was diagnosed with Stage IV head and neck cancer, the very same cancer that I was diagnosed with in 2007, except mine was Stage I.  This friend is self-employed producer/director and does not have insurance, so had put off going to the doctor until it got to the point where he was having trouble swallowing.  After he was diagnosed, a friend of his decided to put together a benefit concert, with a request for donations for a raffle, to help cover his expenses. Of course, I offered to make a quilt.  That very day, I happened upon one of my old Fons & Porter magazines with a music quilt in it. How perfect is that? 

Update 6/13/16:  Fons & Porter Easy Quilts Spring 2010 issue can be purchased here

I was having trouble finding the fabric locally, so ordered the fabric that was still available directly from the fabric company (Andover), and they even sent me a freebie Flower Doodle charm pack! My husband was very involved in the making of this quilt, and we spent quite a bit of time at the fabric shop, picking out just the right fabrics.  I won't get into all the detail of the issues involved with this quilt. I just can't bring myself to relive it -- JUST KIDDING!).  It really wasn't that bad.  I was just stressing out because it was a quilt that someone was paying for, and I wanted it to be almost perfect.  Besides the issues with long spans of lengthwise fabric strips (6 inches x 54 inches), I was also doing machine applique of a treble clef as the focus of the quilt right smack dab in the middle.  Talk about some stress!!!  Thanks to my wonderful husband, who could stand back and see where the problems were, and do some calculating for me (I hate that part of quilting!), we got it all figured out. I love that guy! 

We drove down to California the day before the concert, stayed the night in a hotel (we're not even gonna talk about that), and I was still picking off loose threads the day of the concert.  I received a lot of compliments on the quilt, even from some very experienced quilters that I know. So that made me feel a little better. I was so excited that my sister-in-law and brother-in-law won the quilt, so it gets to stay in the family and I might get to see it every once in awhile! :)

Our friend is still right in the middle of his fight. He's going through another round of chemotherapy, and is halfway through radiation. If you pray, please pray for him. If you would rather send good thoughts instead, those are appreciated, too :)

So.....that's why it's been awhile since I've blogged. So glad to be blogging again....I have so much to share! 

Here are a few of the pics taken throughout this quilt journey. 

I used over 300 pins in this quilt! Ugh! 

Stitch in the Ditch. I'm not really sure why I've seen this listed as a beginner's stitch. I think it takes a lot of time and concentration. I do love it, though, since I don't know how to do free motion quilting yet.

The finished quilt. My husband is actually holding this up, but I don't see him anywhere in this pic. Freaky!  I don't prewash my fabrics, so was a little nervous about those dark colors running. That would've been awful! Thank goodness for Shout Color Catchers! I threw in 3 of those babies just to be safe!

Here's Giacomo (my schnoodle) up on my sewing table. He's so jealous of my quilts and always wants to be on my lap. This time he went straight from my lap up on the table. Silly guy! 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness..where to start. What a sweet dog name. He's so cute. Hubby sounds like a keeper, and that quilt.. GASP! Amaze! And how cool that they won it so you get to have visitation rights-ha! I notice you're using pins.. I've used pins and basting spray and I just haven't had the best luck with either lately.. Do you like pins? Maybe I need (lots) more practice. And yes.. I really am up this late.. again. ;) What a gorgeous quilt!!! Glad you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa--that quilt is GORGEOUS!!!
    It looks like it took so much time and attention to detail, you must feel like you finally swam to the surface of a very deep pool when you'd finished! Yikes!!

    And, I'm so happy to hear that an experienced quilter also doesn't pre-wash fabrics. :) I HATE that step, and just did it for the first time with the last quilt I did (about which I haven't even posted, yet). I had to iron the heck out of everything after I washed it, and that just slowed me down!

    Bob helps me with every quilt: he's my designer, and we spend hours at the fabric store, arguing over every selection. ;)

    I love all your quilts...but this one is my hands-down favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out absolutely beautiful and I'm sure it will be enjoyed for generations to come! I'm envious! I have Peter in my prayers. Joe is finally putting on some weight and getting back to being able to eat just about anything now. He also was diagnosed with Stage IV and is doing well.
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! I have been hired to make a "musical" quilt for a raffle and while searching for the right fabric online, ran across your quilt picture. Would you mind sharing the name of the fabrics used? I have not been able to find the "keyboard" fabric in black and white. I have only found black and ivory. Thank you! (my e-mail is kcoger@jsu.edu if you don't mind sending me a personal response.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband died 7 years ago of stage IV brain cancer. You are in my prayers. My daughters family all plays something and I wanted to make her a quilt for Christmas. This one would be prefect. Can you tell me where to get this pattern and material for it please. Thank You! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you tell me which Fons & Porter magazine this was in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/easy-quilts-spring-2010-digital-issue/138

      Delete
  7. I pray that God is shinning on you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. is there a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/easy-quilts-spring-2010-digital-issue/138

      Delete
  9. Hi Lisa, Hope you and your friend are both in good health. Want to thank you for the quilt inspiration. The quilt is beautiful. I was so inspired that I purchased the pattern and am working on it now. I was hoping you might be able to help me out a bit. My sewing is concentrated in clothing so my applique' work is limited. I put the G-Clef onto the fusible web, and ironed it to the center fabric piece and thought I would not sew around the edges with a tight zig-zag stitch because I'm afraid of stiffness (as well as it not looking right). My plan is to 'not' add batting to this quilt and instead use a sheet to line the back of the'quilt' while stitching in all ditches to keep them together and hide all stitching. Then I will add another sheet and zipper to convert to a duvet cover. I guess my question is, did you stitch around the raw edges on your G-clef? Did you use zig zag? Did you think it looked out of place? Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any time you might have to answer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, signed Sandy :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandy - Unfortunately, I couldn't reply to your email since you're set up as a no-reply commenter. The treble clef that I appliqued was the first and only time that I have done applique work on a quilt. I'm pretty sure I used a blanket stitch, but I apparently didn't take very good notes. I looked online for a good tutorial and found this one - http://theozmaterialgirls.blogspot.com/2010/06/tutorial-machine-blanket-stitching.html Hopefully this will help. And hopefully you are checking back for an answer since I couldn't reply to you :) Good luck! ~ Lisa

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!