Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I posted recently on a music quilt that I made to be raffled in a friend's fundraiser....a friend who's battling cancer. I've decided to enter this quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side

Amy's Creative Side
This is a very special quilt. It was made for Peter.....well, a fundraiser for Peter.  Peter is battling cancer....Stage IV cancer....of the head and neck. This is the same kind of cancer that I battled five years ago. 

I think it was on the very same day that I decided to make a quilt for his raffle that I opened up one of my old Fons & Porter magazines to find a quilt that I had bookmarked as one I wanted to make one day. The quilt was called Beautiful Voices, using the Beautiful Voices collection by Gail Kessler for Andover Fabrics. Some of the fabrics were no longer available. Fortunately, I was able to find the piano keys fabric and the off white musical note fabric. Then my husband went to the fabric store with me to pick out the rest, as this was special to him, too --- he and Peter have been very good friends for 30+ years. 

I quilted this myself on my Husqvarna/Viking Scandinavia 300 using a walking foot, using stitch in the ditch on most of the quilt and wavy lines (using a Truflex II Flexible Curve because I don't have enough experience with free motion quilting) on the black sections, and outlining most of the keys on the piano section.  I also tried my hand at machine applique on the center treble clef. I machine sewed the binding on the front and hand sewed it on the back. 
I used over 300 pins because of all the different sections and the 54" panels.  Crazy!!!
I was really happy with the way it turned out, and loved how it looked blowing in the breeze (my hubby is the magic behind the quilt there). 

Finished size: 62" x 76"
Special Techniques: Machine Piecing, Stitch in the Ditch, Machine Applique, Triflex II Flexible Curve
Quilted by: Lisa Nielsen a.k.a. Lisa Lisa (that's me!)
Category: Home Machine Quilted


16 comments:

  1. Cancer sucks. I'm glad you've won your battle and hope your friend wins his!

    Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! So glad you entered. :o) Ditto what CitricSugar said. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! what a lovely quilt for such a wonderful cause. hope peter does well and glad you've done well in your battle. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quilt! Love the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors! That is a neat quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun quilt. Wishing Peter the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zafeira-You're a no-reply blogger so I was unable to reply to you. Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! Hope it brings in lots of money for the raffle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa - Your quilt is more beautiful to me knowing how much of "you" you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing quilt - I love how bold it is!
    I hope Peter is planning to make a quilt in 5 years...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt for a special person. Glad you have beat the cancer to inspire others to fight on.
    From another survivor (15 years now!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt with a lot of work. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa: I hope Peter does as well as you've done. This quilt is the most beautiful quilt I think I've ever seen. Maybe because I'm also a musician... I'd love to try something this complex some time.
    You've inspired me to finish the edges on my appliques next time around--I usually just zig-zag (close stitches) my appliques on.

    @ Pomegranate Quilts - What a fabulous idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is a real wow factor in this quilt! Brilliant. wishes to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Adding your friend Peter to my prayer list!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!